Lyft To The Summit

Lyft To The Summit

Saturday, April 19, 2014

Introductions

This is my first adventure into the blogosphere! My primary objective with this blog is to invite you to cheerlead me, your local underdog, to the top of Mt. Rainier this August 2014 to fundraise for Camp Korey, a local non-profit summer camp that provides free services for kids (3,500 annually) that help empower them and allows them to just enjoying being kids. My fundraising goal is $5000 Click here to make a donation but the fundraising is only half the challenge. A summit attempt of Mt. Rainier takes an enormous amount of strength and stamina, the likes I have never known.  This blog will help chronicle my total body transformation, already in progress. Any and all encouragement along the way is dearly appreciated for this climb will be a labor of love.

My 2013 New Years resolution was to take my health back and not only did I achieve that goal but I haven't stopped. 2 years ago I learned that the better part of a decade ago, a run-in with some ticks resulted in exposure to Lyme Disease. I witnessed the slow decline of my health and felt 60+ when I was hardly 30 with a wide array of physical and mental symptoms that began to impair my life. With the help of an amazing and compassionate doctor I am now virtually symptom free and ready to live a life not limited. I have clocked countless hours at the gym and working with a trainer to re-build my strength and lose weight. To date I have lost 45 lbs, 12% of my body fat, and 8 dress sizes. I run at least a mile almost every day and this is the 1st time in my life since I was in P.E. class that I can do 12 pushups in a single set. This may not seem like a huge feat to some, but when I think back to the painful numbing neuropathy I used to experience in my arms, it's a heroic improvement. When I think about the strength I will need to build to summit Mt. Rainier, my inner-warrior woman knows that I can power-on.

I am now training harder for this summit than I ever have for anything in my life. My endurance work-outs are near daily and often scenic, whether climbing the Galer stairs from Westlake to Queen Anne, trail running urban trails, or hiking lower elevation local mountains. My little dog, PeeWee, accompanies me on most of these adventures. Other days I get my sweat on at the gym Lyfting weights to build the strong back, shoulders, and core necessary to carry a 40+lb pack up a mountain. Below:  4/13/14 Rattlesnake Ledge with 10lb pack. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy.


 Please consider dropping a word of encouragement or possibly consider making a donation to Camp Korey

Mission Statement: Camp Korey
Camp Korey’s mission is to honor the courage, strength, and determination of children living with serious and life-altering medical conditions and their families; and to provide them with a safe, friendly, medically sound environment in which to simply have fun and be kids.

Video of a Day in the Life of a Camp Korey Camper

2 comments:

  1. I really am in awe of how far you have come and I am routing for you all the way. You make me proud to be your mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Need I say more? You are an inspiration Sally. We talked briefly about your endeavor to summit Rainier, amongst other things. But I had no idea where you were and how far you've come! Keep writing, keep training, stay amazing; you'll destroy the climb in August!

    ReplyDelete